Civil & Structural Clerk of Works required for the Construction of a new extension a new extension to a medical facilty in Castlebar, Co Mayo.
A new extension which will provide 70 single bedrooms and 2 two-bed rooms with associated support and ancillary accommodation over two storeys. This will replace the two multi bed wards to be demolished. The project will also include other associated works (existing main kitchen & laundry refurbishment, Gas and vacuum plant enclosures etc).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaising with Project Manager, Estates Dept., Design teams, Contractors, Local Authority/ Fire Services Staff, Hospital Management and Maintenance Dept. Staff.
- Monitor the Civil and structural works on Site, ensuring that the standard of work and materials supplied by the contractor are as specified in accordance with the contract information.
- Ensure Compliance with the drawings, specifications and other contract documents
- Monitoring quality control, on and off site in conjunction with the project team. Review and Report deviations from specified construction procedures to ensure compliance with regulations
- Recording anomalies in site activities including weather, Health & Safety, quality of work, etc
- Tracking and reporting progress in relation to cost & programme.
- Attend site meetings, take photographs and maintain a current drawing/specifications database,maintaining a daily diary of activity, producing a weekly report.
- The Clerk of works will maintain a Daily Works diary, recording decisions, events, appointments, staff details, site visits, equipment on site, contractor’s attendance, daily temperatures, photographs of progress
- The Clerk of works will produce a weekly report, summarising weekly activity on site including photographs
- To witness testing, Installation and Commissioning during and on completion of the Works.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of site management. Co-ordinate and prepare written reports to the Project Manager to ensure no interruption occurs to the building schedule.
- Track the co-ordination of M&E services and ensure compliance with the contract documents.
- Aiding in practical completion and defects rectification issues and monitoring their timely resolution in a satisfactory manner and Ensure the quality and workmanship of finishing works.
- Facilitate prompt delivery of as-built records, safety files, digital projects manuals, O & M manuals etc
- Aiding the successful handover of the building in relation to services, building fabric maintenance and facilities management.
- Coordinating the necessary pre-contract and post-completion decanting and logistical tasks to ensure effective, efficient and satisfactory delivery of accommodation, with a minimum of disturbance to Hospital services and staff.
- To prepare schedule of defects and to certify rectification of snagging items.
- To undertake Health & safety duties commensurate with the post
- To maintain liaison with the Mayo Community Services Maintenance Department and ensure hand-over arrangements are effective.
- Any other duties as set out by the estates Manager, training and / or hours of work as may bereasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this post
The Successful candidate will have a degree in Engineering (Civil / Structural) or an Equivalent professional qualification OR Hold a Diploma in Construction studies or Civil Engineering
Knowledge and Experience;
The appointee will have a minimum of 7 years experience, with preferably at least 5 years on site in the role of Resident Civil / Structural Engineer.
S/he will have significant experience as a resident engineer on large/ complex building projects.
Design and Build experience would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate would be a member or associate member of a relevant professional institute. A detailed working knowledge of building construction technology is essential and candidates should also have knowledge of mechanical & electrical services.
Proficiency in the use of MS Office and AutoCAD would be an advantage.
Candidate must hold a clean driving licence and have unencumbered access to a suitable vehicle. The candidate should hold an appropriate Safe Pass, as promoted by Fás, and other relevant site safety qualifications (Managing safety in Construction).
Skills and Competencies;
The post holder must possess and demonstrate strong capabilities for the following:
Technical skills and detail Communications and interpersonal skills Innovation, problem solving